Making a room welcoming and hospitable is the goal when designing guest rooms. Whether designing a guest room in a large suburban space, or in a compact city dwelling, each has its own challenges. With careful planning and creativity, guest rooms will be an expression of the host’s style, hospitality and thoughtfulness.
Here are some tips and ideas when designing a guest room:
- A comfortable bed is a must; consider an extra layer of down to cover the bed for extra comfort.
- Vary the pillows from soft to extra firm and let the guests decide what is more comfortable for them.
- The bed sheets must be soft. Egyptian cotton with a high thread count is recommended. How about adding fresh cotton fragrance when storing the linens? But be sure to ask if your guest has any allergies.
- Upholstered head boards, pillow shams, Euro shams, decorative pillows, bed skirts, and canopies are all items that tell so much about the host.
- Fresh flowers are another way to tell the guest they are important, and they are very much cared about! Again, be sure your guests don’t have allergies. If they do, silk flowers of high quality can be used and will fool anyone into thinking they’re fresh.
- Displaying family pictures, trips, or special events will evoke conversation and discussion of happy times with guests. Another good idea is to have a wall display with words of wisdom. Special quotes framed or stenciled on walls is something to consider.
- Try putting a coffee maker or electric kettle in the room with a selection of high quality teas. Add a silver tray with fine china, various sugars, honey, and a pitcher with glasses for cold water. Guests could enjoy a fresh cup of coffee or tea early in the morning in their own bed room without disturbing the hosting family.
- Incorporate a reading corner with a comfortable chaise or chair, a soft comfy shawl, and a stack of well read books.
- Pay attention to details and add those extra ordinary trims, buttons, tassels, and fringes. Those details say something special about the host.
All the careful planning will bring a smile to guests’ faces, and will give them a wonderful experience they will never forget.
Call us for a free estimate and consultation (630) 420-0800
Also visit our Gailani Designs website for more ideas: www.GailaniDesigns.com